Tuesday, August 2, 2022

MIPC: Weight Loss Mojo Bag

 Note: MIPC stands for Magic in Popular Culture and this is a series of posts in which I take a magical belief or practice from a work of fiction such as movies, books, comic books, or tv shows and analyze them against real-world magical beliefs and practices.

The Spell or Ritual : Weight Loss Mojo Bag

Sew a three inch square of leather or black flannel  forming a pouch. Fil it with basil, three cloves of garlic, and our own hair or nail clippings. Make a triangle shaped piece of white wax and inscribe it with your name and birthdate. Prick your right thumb and smear a drop of your blood on the wax. Place it in the mojo bag and sew the bag shut. keep the bag with you at all times. When tempted to overeat say:

"For thine protection I do pray
let all evil turn away
protect me night
protect me day
keep misfortune well at bay"

Source:

Weekly World News
1/30/1996 

The Analysis 

This mojo bag is all over the place. I don't think I like anything in this mojo bag except for maybe the garlic, which I know helps to open blood vessels which would increase blood flow, aid digestion, and lower blood pressure. And ofcourse it would be wise to include your personal concerns of the personal concerns of the person it is meant to assist in the mojo bag. 

That being said, if I were to make a Weight Loss Mojo Bag I would include the following: 

  • Solomon Seal Root - to make wise decisions about my health
  • High John the Conqueror Root - For will powers and stamina (get those 10k steps!) 
  • Ginger Root - to put heat on the situation, give you motivation and speed up your metabolism. 
  • Written Petition- A positive statement of intent written on paper. For example: May I reach my goal weight of X lbs as quickly and easily as possible without negatively affecting my health or well being in any way. Amen. 

I might dress the mojo with a trio of  Cast off Evil Oil (to release bad habits), Fast Luck Oil (for fast results) and High John Oil (for strength, stamina, and will power). 

When tempted to overeat or eat anything unhealthy, I might chant or affirm:

"This spell I cast to defeat
the impulse to now over eat
by virtue of this incantation
I indulge in moderation! "

- Carolina Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment