Tuesday, August 16, 2022

MIPC: The Witch's Ladder

 Note: MIPC stands for Magic in Popular Culture and this is a series of posts in which I take a magical belief or practice from a work of fiction such as movies, books, comic books, or tv shows and analyze them against real-world magical beliefs and practices. 

The Spell or Belief 

Staring at the sky, Beatrice thought, Thirteen sleeps before my departure. How lucky am I? “Luck,” of course, according to her aunt, “is what happens when preparation and opportunity collide.” What then of magic, Beatrice wondered, of destiny, of kismet?
She’d recently read an account of a strange charm being found by a farmhand in the rafters of a run-down cottage outside of Tarrytown where a witch was supposed to have lived. It’d been fashioned from the simplest of things—a length of string, a few ratty feathers and six stray hairs (probably from the witch’s head). Nine knots had been tied along it, to secure the feathers and hair. When a farmer’s wife from the next house over had been asked by a newspaper reporter if she’d ever seen the likes of such a thing before, she’d eagerly replied, “Yes, indeed I have! ’Tis a witch’s ladder, for healin’ the sick, protectin’ loved ones, cursin’ yer enemies or gettin’ what you wish. It contains some of the strongest magic there is. Once the spell’s complete, its magic will be stored in the charm forever. So long as the ladder remains whole, so too will the magic. There’s a rhyme that goes along with it, to help the spell set. Would ye like to hear it?”
Taking three black feathers, a length of string and six strands of red hair from her own head, Beatrice began tying knots to secure her wish, reciting the farmwoman’s verse as she went.
By knot of one, my spell’s begun.
By knot of two, it will come true.
By knot of three, so may it be.
By knot of four, this power I store.
By knot of five, my spell is alive.
By knot of six, the spell I fix.
By knot of seven, the future I’ll leaven.
By knot of eight, my will be fate.
By knot of nine, what’s done is mine!
She hoped the farmer’s wife was right. She hoped the magic would prove true. She wanted to believe—in miracles, in fate and in witches too.
Twelve days. (Thirteen sleeps.)
Those averse to magic need not apply.
The time between first and second sleep is neither slumber nor waking. Too much dark and your mind will stay at rest, too much light and your dreams will surely flee. Use this time wisely—for writing spells, summoning spirits, and most importantly, remembering your dreams. Queens have been crowned, schemes hatched, fortunes gained, demons defeated, lovers found—all from visions born in the stillness of the night. In dreams, our souls are given the eyes of Fate. Dreams must be encouraged by all possible means.

The Witches of New York
by Ami McKay 


Commentary 

The is actually a fairly precise and accurate description of how a witch's ladder is made and used. A Witch's ladder can be made for any purpose that you desire. In my own personal practices, however, I am always sure to use nine knots total. I also use the same color symbolism as that of candles. For example, a love ladder will be made with red cord; a money ladder will be made with yellow or green cord. In addition to the knots and feathers tied into the knots, I also include items that vibrate on the same frequency as my desire. 

I once made a love ladder to bind a man to me. For this purpose I used a cord that was the same length as his height, plus the length of his erect penis. I tied that consisted of nine turkey bones tied along the length of the cord with nine knots. I tied five turkey bones and 4 licorice roots in the cord - alternating the bones and roots - and dressed each knot with Lavender Love Oil. Finally I smoked the entire thing in incense smoke while making my prayer. When I was done I laid the cord between the mattress and boxsprings on his side of the bed so that he would always return to my bed (and me). 

I like the use of the witch's ladder because it allows me to draw on my creativity and make something unique, beautiful, and magical. 

- Carolina Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment