Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The American Heritage Grimoire

This is the third entry in my series which I am calling the Books of Magic, my personal collection of grimoires, books of shadows, spell books, etc... 

Now as you may or may not know, I like to give all my little grimoires names. I have already introduced you to My Grimoire and My Little Black Book and today I would like to share with you what I am calling the American Heritage Grimoire

The reason I am call this book the American Heritage Grimoire is that is contains spells, rituals, and beliefs I have collected from works of fiction such as books, comic books, movies, and television shows. I have also collected information from works of non-fiction such as old newspaper clippings, documentaries, etc. - works which are a part of our shared collective culture. 

I have already filled up this travel journal and will soon be starting a new one in which, I will continue to collect new spells and rituals. Collectively, these journals will be referred to as the Lore - a term I borrowed from the tv show Supernatural in which Sam and Dean often refer to the Lore when researching whatever supernatural threat they may be hunting at any given time. 

Usually, I share photographs of pages from my books of magic, however, I will not be doing so in this entry. This reason I will not be showing any pictures is that in the coming weeks and months, I will she sharing this information in various blog entries with the label Magic in Popular Culture (MIPC). In this series, I will take a spell, ritual, or belief from a work of fiction and analyze it against real world magical beliefs and practices. I will also suggest any changes that I think will improve the spell and in those cases that I actually cast the spell or performed the ritual myself, I will share the outcome. 
 
Carolina Dean 


No comments:

Post a Comment