Saturday, July 9, 2022

Review: The Book of Magic

 

  • Title: The Book of Magic 
  • Author: Alice Hoffman
  • Publisher ‏ : ‎ Simon & Schuster (October 12, 2021)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 400 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 198215148X
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1982151485


Commentary 

If you saw the film Practical Magic starring Sandra Bullock, Nicolle Kidman, Diane Weist, and Stockard Channing you are already familiar with the premise of this story. It concerns a family of witches who are cursed in love and their struggles to find love and avoid the curse brought down on their heads by their ancestress Maria Owens. 

Through three previous books we have met Maria Owens and learned more about her life and what caused her to invoke this curse. We have read the tragic story of Jet and Franny (collectively referred to as the Aunts) as well as their brother Vincent. Finally we have read about the lives and loves of Sally and Gillian as they struggle to make lives for their selves in a town that hates them for being different. 

It should be noted that the previous three books (Practical Magic, the Rules of Magic, and Magic Lessons) were not published in chronological order. The Book of Magic takes place, I am guessing, 10-15 years after the events of Practical Magic. Sally and Gillian are now  in their late 40's, The Aunts are in their mid 80's, and Sally's daughters (Antonia and Kylie) are in their early to mid 20s.. and finally the curse is about 300 years old. 

This books sees the curse that destroys any man who dare love an Owens woman introduced into the lives of Antonia and Kyle as they both learn the truth about their unique heritage which has been kept from them and follows their efforts to break the curse. 

The Good 

Literally everything! I absolutely love the universe that Hoffman has created with this series. Although it has been advertised as the final installment in the series, I hope that we can revisit this world again in future stories. I also like the flavor of magic that is practiced by the witches of Book of Magic

The story begins and ends in a library. As you know, I love books and this really is as much a book about books as it is about witches, witchcraft, sisters, magic, and the search for love. There are numerous references to other books such as the works of Emily Dickenson, William Shakespeare, Ray Bradbury and others.  However it also includes references to various Grimoires and Books of Magic (real and imaginary) such as The Magus

Finally I love that this story includes more than one gay couple and that, when it occurs, it is done in an organic manner. 

The Bad 

Hoffman can be a little wordy in describing people and events, but we love that about her. Also the story can be somewhat Polly Anna-ish at times. For example, a witch bakes a pie leaving it on the windowsill to cool and suddenly everyone in the neighborhood wakes up happier that they have ever been (lame)?

The Ugly 

The first 50 or so pages were difficult for me to read as one character hears the clicking of the deathwatch beetle (stupid beetle!) and knows that her end is coming. We walk in her shoes as she comes to terms with her own mortality and sets about putting her affairs in order before her times come. This was particularly difficult for me because I recently celebrated my birthday and every year that I get older I think about my own death and what comes after (not for me, but the people I leave behind). 

However, I admire how this character faced her death choosing to see the beauty of life and the world in which she lived. I gotta be honest. the ugly here was me ugly crying when she met her end. 

The Rating 

I am giving this book 5 out of 5 broomsticks on Carolina Dean's Witch-O-Meter (patent pending). Once again, I am still working on my rating system. 

- Carolina Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment