Saturday, May 21, 2022

Book Review: Consensual Hex

 

I wish I had read the reviews here before I purchased this book. I read a quick description of the book which ran along the lines of "queer witches vs. warlock frat boys over a magical grimoire" and thought it was an interesting concept. However, I did not know that the author violated the private lives and trauma of people she actually knew at college to tell this story.


While the initial idea intrigued me, I feel that the story fell flat. The book seemed to try to be "woke" -- too "woke"-- and actually perpetuated some of the worse "phobias" humanity is capable of (homophobia, transphobia, etc...). I did not like the description or the flavor of the coven's "witchcraft". As a magical practitioner myself, I found it too to comic-booky, and lacked a certain cohesion or tradition in my own mind. Furthermore, Sienna was not a very good teacher! The story rambled on like a high school student who was forced to write a 5000 word essay and was trying to puff up their paper to meet that requirement.

When I finished the story, I found myself quite confused ... questioning what happened and what did not... much like the main character who questioned the reality of her own rape. As a 47 year old Gay Man from the South, perhaps I am not the demographic this story was intended for. The best thing about this book was the cover art. Overall it was a waste of time and money.

- Carolina Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment