Thursday, May 12, 2022

The Stones of Light Part 2: The Divinity Stone

 The Divinity Stone 


The Divinity Stone comes to us from the healing practices of the Dutch Country Pow-Wows, also known as Braucherei.  Braucherei is a magical system akin to Hoodoo and other forms of Folk Magic. It originated in the folk magic practices of Germany and was brought to American by immigrants who originally settled largely in Pennsylvania. However, the immigrants migrated all over the U.S. and settled in other areas as well. 

I can tell you from personal experience that South Carolina saw an influx of German settlers in the past. I was born in Lancaster, S.C. which is the sister city to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Lancaster, SC is known as the City of the Red Rose; and Lancaster, PA is known as the Red Rose City. Finally, one of South Carolina's most (in)famous residents was Mary Ingleman, a German immigrant, who is known as The First Witch of Winnsboro South Carolina.  Mary was a healer and herbalist, who is also thought to have practiced some form of Rune Magic. So South Carolina is a hot bed of at least three magical system: Hoodoo, Braucherei, and Witchcraft. 

The Divinity Stone is also known as the Fire Stone, Creek Stone, or Rukschtee  (rest) stone... and I am sure there are probably more names for this object which I am not aware of. The basic function of the Divinity Stone is to remove pain and dis-ease from the body. 

According to one source, to obtain a Rukschtee Stone, you have to go to some kind of border such as a fence line and search for a small round stone that is visible (i.e. you don't have to dig for it). Once you find it, that is your stone. Other sources say that the stone calls to the individual and it is a matter of being sufficiently aware of that call when it goes out. It is also believed that the stone will only work for the person that it is meant for. It is also said that the stone will teach you how to use it. Traditionally, the stone is placed under the pillow or mattress of the sick individual to draw out pain, sickness, and disease. Finally it should be washed in cold water between uses. When not being used, one source recommends keeping it in a special box. 

My Experiences with the Divinity Stone 

I found my Divinity Stone (although I simply call it my healing stone) about 15 years ago when I first moved from South Carolina to Washington.  It is about 2 inches long, smooth, and roughly egg shaped. It looks like a small potato. A friend took me around to explore Whidbey Island and I found the stone pictured above while hiking at trail in Oak Harbor, I honestly didn't know what it was at the time, but I knew it was special. It was much later that it occurred to me that it was a healing stone. I recall getting sick with a very bad cold that left my entire body aching. The idea to place the stone under my pillow came to me and from that day forward I found myself getting better. 

There was also another time I wasn't feeling well and laid down with the stone in my hand. I went in to a state where I was simultaneously both asleep and awake. In this state I had a dream vision that  I was driving a car around and around in circles on the island. I could not find a way off the island. I was stuck and then suddenly the path opened up before me and I drove off the island. Later I came to understand that someone was throwing for me and the stone took off the curse! 

- Carolina Dean 

Further Reading 

No comments:

Post a Comment