Thursday, May 26, 2022

The Stones of Light Part 4: The Shaman Stone

 


Shaman Stone ©2021, Carolina Dean 

Shaman Stones 

Shaman Stones, also known as Moqui Marbles, are named after the Hopi Tribe as they were known as the Moqui Tribe prior to the 1900s. They are natural stone formations which are found in the deserts of Utah and Arizona that have a sandstone center around a hard shell consisting of hematite. According to one legend, the Hopi ancestors would return to earth at night and play with these marbles and signs of their play the following morning was an indication that they were happy. 

Some folks classify Shaman Stones as being either male or female. Generally speaking, if the stone is smooth it is thought to be female, if it is rough it is male. Then again, some say the female is round whereas the male stone is more disk like. For this reason, Shaman Stones are often kept in pairs and when working with the stones to balance your energies the female stone is held in one's passive hand and the male stone the dominant hand during meditation. 

Today, it is illegal to remove their stones from their natural environment, however, you can still purchase them online from retailers who obtain them before this ban went into affect. 

Shaman Stone Uses 

Shaman Stones have many uses which include but are not limited to the following:

  • Attracting the attention and interest of your Native American ancestors or spirit guides. 
  • Aligning and balancing your chakras. The are especially good at removing blockages in the energetic system of the body. 
  • Healing yourself or others 
  • Enhancing meditation 
  • Nurturing and growing one's natural psychic and intuitive faculties. 
  • Protection from evil and negativity
  • Balancing the polarity of male (active) and female (passive) energy of your physical body. 


My Personal Experience with the Shaman Stone 

As some of you may or may not know my ancestry is Jewish, Native American, and Irish; and while I feel a greater affinity for my Jewish heritage, I do not deny my Native or Irish ancestry. That is not to say that, because I am part Native American, I have the right to work with these stones but then again I have seen no evidence stating that only Native Americans can work with these stones either. 

Suffice it to say, I was gifted a Shaman Stone by a friend which you can see in the photo above. As you can tell from the smooth skin of the stone, it is female. I mainly use it when I am meditation for stress relief, to ground myself before a divination session (such as reading the tarot, bones, or even automatic writing), as well as to help me get unstuck when I feel blocked in terms of my own creativity. When not in use, I keep the stone on my working altar along with several other stones, gems, rocks, and crystals.

- Carolina Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment